2.5.14

End of Term Wrap-Up and IST

So the first term at my PTC ended this week. I left early because my group had a training in Kampala. There were no end-of-term exams because they just didn't end up getting made? So the plan is to make beginning-of-term exams and the students will take them when they return.

I only actually taught for about 4 days out of the whole term. The last month of the term, the Year One students were taught in mass classes (like college classes in the states), because the Year Two students were out for school practice and most tutors were out observing them. I didn't want to teach in mass classes, so I waited for a few weeks and then started teaching. However, the timetable (what we call the schedule here) was still not finalized, so despite having set times to teach math, sometimes that didn't happen. There are also classes scheduled at 7:30, when assembly is supposed to end, but most often assembly goes over and we don't start until 8 or 8:15, and at that point I refuse to teach because I think it's a bit useless to fit an hour's material into 15 minutes.

So I now have to finish my unit in term two along with teaching a term two unit. At our IST training this past week,  we spoke about rearranging the curriculum to make mathematical sense (learn operations before factoring). The problems we found were not so much that the curriculum was out of order, but that the tutors were teaching everything simultaneously vs in order that makes sense. I'm going to try to speak to the math department when I get back to school and see how we can make things better.

I finally bought a new power cord and a new powermatic (power adapter)!!! My wonderful mom is sending me/sent me a power cord but I feel better with two, one to keep at site and one to travel with. I'm also in a place now where my internet modem gets good service. Looking like I have to buy one from a different carrier to get internet at site.

Overall I feel like I'm moving into a better place emotionally and mentally. During the middle of the term I was pretty down, but now even small things that happen I take as a part of life. I lost my raincoat transferring taxis on the way back to site. I think at first I would have been pretty upset, but I just accept theft/loss as something that happens here. Many people don't leave UG with any clothes they brought here, and sometimes that applies to possessions as well.
I lost three days instructional time because of Easter and other college activities, and while it was frustrating, the frustration just went away and I worked on a malaria project we were doing in April.  I think I'm integrating better in my community, working on stress relief better, and adapting to sometimes just not having my computer or internet. I'm excited to work on projects for the rest of the year and visit people at their sites.

I really wanted to go home, and I'm really glad I didn't. I'm excited for my service, and the future ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment